Thursday, September 4, 2014

Miles' Birth Story: Part 3

{Part 1 and Part 2 of Miles birth story}
Sorry for the delay of part 3 but our computer was having issues!

So after my water broke I felt a brief second of relief and then the next contraction came and I was back to being in misery. My midwife kept telling me that I was minutes away from meeting our son but I didn't believe her... it had been forever (or so it seemed to me). With every contraction I would attempt to breathe and yell and moan while gripping hubs' shirt and the top of his shorts (because he was standing beside the bed and that's what was at my level to grab onto). It was extremely painful and I didn't realize there were so many stages of pushing. The contractions and pushes were moving him down and finally she said she could see his head and that he had hair! Hubs got to see that and I began to feel a little hopeful that I wouldn't be pushing for the rest of my life. They offered to let me use a mirror to watch but I declined. I continued to push through each contraction and his head began to emerge. The midwife encouraged me to reach down and feel his head, which I did but I was so exhausted and in so much pain that I just wanted to keep pushing him out. I pushed more and his whole head finally emerged... everyone was really excited at that point and kept saying, "look his head is out!" but I remember thinking (and probably saying) "but where is the rest of him and why isn't his body coming out?!" The pushing and pain continued as his body emerged and I remember the "ring of fire" but I didn't think that it was the more painful part of labor, the contractions were much, much worse in my experience. His sweet little body finally came out and they immediately laid him on my chest where I continued to cry happy tears and kiss his sweet little goop covered head. He was perfect!
He looked so much like Emerie did when she was born. I still can't believe how God created the female body to give birth. It was empowering and wonderful and terribly painful at the same time. They wiped him down and suctioned him and let me hold and snuggle him before weighing and measuring him. After they weighed and measured him (8 pounds, 18.5 inches long) they gave him back to me to nurse. He latched on like a champ and I have some really good pictures of his first time nursing (but they are a little too revealing for my blog). It was such a special moment. The midwife delivered the placenta (which came after another contraction) and showed it to me (yuck). Haha. Then she stitched me up and we stayed in the delivery room for another hour or so while they bathed Miles and got our other room ready. We spent two nights in the hospital (though the midwife said I could go after one night) because Miles was really spitty from swallowing so much fluid when he was born and they wanted to keep an eye on him. He was perfectly healthy and Emerie got to come meet her little brother just hours after he was born.
Our midwife was so wonderful and I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful and "easy" labor and delivery. We arrived at the hospital around 9:45 a.m. and Miles was born at 12:03 p.m. So we were only there a little over 2 hours and one of those hours was spent pushing! Overall my labor was 6 and a half hours (compared to 25 hours with Emerie). We are so blessed to be the parents of two beautiful children!

No comments: