Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Miles' Birth Story: Part 2

{You can find Part 1 of Miles' birth story here}

After the midwife checked me and determined that I was about 5 centimeters dilated, she suggested that I labor in the tub. I had decided to attempt to go through with this labor without any drug interventions and I was pretty miserable. The tub had helped a little bit when I was in labor with Emerie though they didn't let me stay in long with her. I was with a different practice with her and saw doctors instead of midwives. They didn't have a waterproof doppler and made me get out to check on her heartbeat and to check my progress. My midwife was armed with a waterproof doppler so I got in the tub and Phillip sat in the bathroom with me. The contractions were horrible. Hubs prayed for me through each and every one and that gave me the strength to get through them. The water helped some but they were still so awful. D. came in to check on Miles heart rate a time or two and she checked my cervix (all in the tub!). It was so nice to not have to move in and out of the tub to be checked and monitored. The first time she checked I was about 8 centimeters and I began to feel more pressure with the contractions during the last two centimeters. My body started pushing naturally and I told hubs to get D. in there with us. I was afraid I was going to have a water birth! She came in and checked again and I was almost to ten. She said it was okay to push with the contractions, it would just help move the baby down (not the kind of pushes that would get him out!). She stayed in the bathroom with us and whispered soothing and encouraging things and finally told me that it was time to get out and prepare to push so we could meet our baby. I didn't know what to expect with the pushing, I sort of assumed and really hoped it would be a few hard pushes and he would come right out. Ha. Wrong. They wrapped me in warm blankets and I got on the bed and laid down. This is where things got really intense and even more painful. I should also mention that my water had not broken through this whole process, and being the traditional midwife that she is, she did not break it for me. I had gotten to the hospital close to 10:00 and it was 11:00 when I got out of the tub at 10 centimeters and prepared to push. I labored through a few contractions (that made me feel like I may not survive his birth). I just kept breathing through them and I was laying on my side gripping hubs' shirt and the top of his shorts (I did that through most of the contractions once I got out of the tub). At this point I was in excruciating pain and I remember saying, "I can't do this" and D and hubs kept saying, "Yes you can, you ARE doing this". I had a lot of pressure with the next contraction to push and so my body took over and naturally pushed, and my water exploded. There's really no other way to explain it. It relieved the pressure and for a split second I felt relief... until the next contraction.

Part 3 (aka the part where we meet our sweet baby) coming soon!

No comments: