Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Miles' Birth Story: Part 1

Miles' due date was July 2 according to my cycle and July 6 according to the first ultrasound. We decided to go with the 2nd (mainly because it was sooner!). He was born Saturday, July 5. Was he three days late or one day early? :) Here's his birth story....
Early Saturday morning (5:30 a.m.) I woke up with some contractions. I had felt a painful one or two throughout the night but I thought it was just him pushing on my bladder so I got up to go to the bathroom once or twice and went back to sleep. At 5:30 I realized that they didn't feel like BH contractions so I laid there for a little while and timed them. They were 7-10 minutes apart. I got up and went upstairs to read on the couch for a little bit to see if the change in position would put an end to the contractions (in case it was false labor). They continued so I got a shower and got the last of my things packed up before waking hubs up. They were getting closer together (about 5 minutes). Hubs got up and showered and helped get Emerie's things ready and we finally got her up around 8. My dad had gone to help my sister move (an hour and a half away) but my mom and older sister had stayed behind "just in case". Thank goodness they did. We left our house shortly after Emerie woke up and I suffered through a few contractions in the car. We stayed and talked to mom for a few minutes and I finally told hubs we needed to go because they were really starting to hurt and they were only 2-3 minutes apart. I didn't want to get to the hospital too early or too late. (Ha!).
We arrived at the hospital around 9:45 that morning and I was quickly wheeled up to Labor and Delivery after telling the clerk in the ER that I was 3 days late and this was it. :)
The nurses gave me a gown and checked my weight (I gained around 35 pounds, same as with Emerie). I asked the nurse which midwife was on call and when I found out it was D.  I looked at my husband and said something along the lines of "oh crap, I'm doing this without an epidural."
I was slightly happy and slightly terrified. Out of all of the midwives at my practice, D. was the most traditional. I had told hubs before going to the hospital that if it were any of the other midwives I'd probably have an epidural, but if it was D. I knew I wouldn't.... I sort of wanted to try to have him without any interventions and with her on call I knew that I wasn't going to get the epi this time.
They hooked me to the monitor to see my contractions and she checked my cervix to see how far along I was. 5 centimeters. Halfway there. We were having a baby.
Stay tuned for part 2. :)

No comments: