Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Living Intentionally

My goal for this year was to live more intentionally and I've realized that I still haven't accomplished that. I do a lot of dreaming and wishing and not as much doing. I have been reminded of this lately so I am going to continue to try to live more intentionally... when I come up with an idea or something that I would like to do, I'm going to do it rather than talk myself out of it.
One of the things that I've started to realize is that I don't love running, as much as I would like to and as much as I admire those that do, I don't. And that's okay. My goal isn't to be a runner, it's to be healthy and in shape and to teach my kids to take care of their bodies and to be active. I can do that without trying to be a runner. You have to start somewhere and since I'm pregnant and not wanting to join a gym again and take classes, I finally ordered the Prenatal Barre workout DVD that I've been thinking about forever.
It's little things like that. I get an idea in my head of something I want to try or do and then I think about it forever and eventually talk myself out of it!
Cleaner eating is also a goal of mine. I don't want to go paleo or anything like that but just eat fresh/less processed foods. So I bought a bunch of veggies at the store this past weekend and started making veggie wraps to take for lunch.
This one is cucumbers, red peppers, red onion, lettuce, and tomatoes with red pepper hummus. It was pretty good. I put too much hummus on it. I'll probably try the same veggies with some ranch dressing. I'm just making small changes here and there with this one... for example, instead of big casseroles with lots of cream of this and that soups, hubs and I are using the grill more and just doing meat and veggies. We made tilapia (not on the grill) with sweet potatoes the other night and it was just as filling as a casserole and took a lot less time! Not to mention that we have a freezer full of (free) steaks from hubs' granddad's farm and that sounds way more appetizing than a casserole!
There are lots of other things that I am working on/towards so I may do a weekly or monthly post to hold myself accountable for following through with things that I want to do. It's been on my mind a lot so it feels good to write about it. Hopefully these posts will encourage someone else to live life more intentionally. I'm rereading Donald Miller's book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, and I'm reminded that our life is a story. I want mine to be an interesting story. Good stories begin when you leave your comfort zone, when you change, when you do something you didn't think you could. I just can't let fear get in the way. 
“Fear isn’t only a guide to keep us safe; it’s also a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life … the great stories go to those who don’t give in to fear.”  -Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

2 comments:

Cat @ MaryMarthaMama said...

LOVING this! It is so great what you are doing. I've been trying to do a lot of these types of things as well. I was really inspired by a quote by Earl Nightingale- "Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway". This year I have been trying to really work towards more goals and dreams, rather than just letting time pass by. Best wishes in all your efforts. I'm looking forward to reading about it!

Christina said...

Thanks so much for the sweet comment! I hadn't heard that quote but I love it! Best of luck to you as you strive to reach your goals. I'd love to hear about yours as well! :)