Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Love to/hate to....

I have lots of friends who run. They do 5K's, 10K's, and half marathons (by the way, who's going to be the first to do a marathon? Not it! :-P). I have done one 5K. One. That's it. I trained for it for about 3 and a half months. I was so proud of myself. I ran 4-5 days a week for those three and a half months. I even ran when I was on vacation through the streets of Missouri and Oklahoma and on the hotel treadmill. And then I ran that 5K at the beach without stopping to walk. That was my goal and I accomplished it. Hurray! Then I stopped running. I wish I hadn't. I wish I had kept it up and signed up for more races. Did I absolutely love running and racing? No. But what I did love was the sense of accomplishment that I felt after I did it. I loved the way that I felt... full of energy and healthy. But it's hard. It's hard to make yourself leave the house and drive somewhere to run. It's hard to walk out the front door some days and run down the road and back. So I stopped running.
This morning I was catching up on some blogs and I came across this video. I was so inspired that I put on my running shoes (which are still in great condition because I bought them when training for that solo 5K), and I went for a run. It was a beautiful day, cool and breezy... the bright and colorful trees painted a gorgeous view while I struggled along. I ran until I was too tired to run, then I walked until I could breathe again, and picked the pace back up. I didn't feel amazing when I got back from the run. That's okay. I may never feel amazing after a run. But what is important to me is that I got off of the couch and did something that will benefit me in the long run. Physical therapy has helped my neck muscles get stronger and I am hoping that running will only add to that physical strength. I want to come home in the evenings and cook dinner and play and run around with Emerie without wishing I could lay on the couch because my neck is bothering me. I am running for health, but also for Emerie. I want to stay healthy for her so that I can enjoy life with her. Maybe one day she and I can run together... So here I am. Starting over with running --again.  Loving it and hating it.

No comments: