Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wonderstruck Wednesday

I went to a women's Bible study at church Monday night. I haven't done a Bible study at church in a long time but I know that God is trying to grow and stretch my faith so I signed up for it. The theme of the study is based on awakening the wonders of God in your life. We are using the book Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg. It's about noticing the blessings in your life. I definitely see this as a theme in my life right now. I've been doing a devotional at home by Ann Voskamp (One Thousand Gifts) and it's basic theme is being appreciative of God's blessings and finding contentment in everyday life. In her book, One Thousand Gifts, she details how she grew closer to God by counting the gifts in life... the big, the small.... and she writes them down. I've been using the One Thousand Gifts devotional to count gifts in my life. It has really made me appreciate and think about the small things in life that get overlooked. Everytime I see something beautiful it sticks out in my mind because I want to remember it to write it down in my devotional. I think life can become overwhelmingly competitive. Someone is always going to be richer than you. Someone is going to travel more. Dress better. Run faster. Laugh louder. And it's easy to get caught up in the "I wish I had..."  and it can even lead to resentment. Our purpose in life is to bring others to Christ. To be the light. To help those in need. To show people God's love and mercy. It's easy to lose sight of those things. It's easy to get caught up in wanting more, but God is calling us to love more. I got an email today that made my heart happy... The Compassion International workers in Guatemala notified the child we are sponsoring that someone had chosen her. That someone is praying for her and thinking about her. We are excited to play a part in her life. Though it may not seem like much, it is a lot to her and her family. That's a gift. And while it seems like we are a blessing in her life, she is really a blessing in ours. I hope that our lives can teach Emerie about God's love and mercy. I hope we can teach her compassion for others. God is opening my eyes to so much right now and I hope that I can share more as it unfolds. Have a blessed day!
The view from my hiking trip on Saturday left me feeling wonder struck. Maybe I'll start a weekly Wonderstruck Wednesday post! I'll be back for my favorite 5 on Friday weekly post... I promise it won't be as serious as this one! :)

No comments: