Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

On Breastfeeding

We just got back from a mini vacation so I have lots of catching up to do. I didn't want to let this week go by without writing a post on breastfeeding, it is the last day of World Breastfeeding week after all. Let me preface this by saying that I don't care how you feed your babies. If you formula feed or breastfeed, makes no difference to me. As long as you feed your kid, I don't care! :) I chose to breastfeed Emerie and had prayed throughout the pregnancy that I would be blessed with the ability to do so. God is faithful. Emerie has been nursing for 14+ months now and I know that the end of this journey is in sight. I don't take a single moment of it for granted. It was definitely hard at first. Newborns nurse forever. Hubs jokes that I would take Emerie and disappear for what seemed like hours during those first few weeks of nursing. It has had it's ups and downs... I can remember feeling like I was on fire during those first few weeks right after she would latch on. Talk about painful. I often asked myself if I would be able to continue to nurse after slathering on layers of lanolin. I not so jokingly referred to Em as a barracuda. Hubs was very supportive, woke up with me every single night, would change her diaper and talk to me while she nursed. He still does that (yeah you read that right, she's still getting up in the middle of the night, that's a whole separate post). It makes a difference when you have a supportive spouse. After the pain of those first two months it got a lot easier and the nursing sessions got a lot shorter. I am so so glad that I hung in there. I was lucky enough to have a good milk supply and had no problems stocking the freezer full of milk (our freezer and my parent's deep freeze). Pumping takes dedication and persistence... I missed several meetings throughout the year and gave up some of my planning time during the day to pump enough milk for Em. I don't know how mom's who exclusively pump do it. You definitely deserve props for that! This breastfeeding journey has been filled with pain, exhaustion, clogged ducts, and during one phase, an occasional bite or two (ouch!). But it has also been filled with happiness and joy, baby snuggles (now toddler snuggles), and a closeness that I wouldn't have experienced had I not continued through all of those not so pleasant moments. I love nursing Emerie... did I imagine that we would still be nursing at 14.5 months? No but I'm glad that we are... I'm not going to rush her to wean... I'm sure it will happen within the next four months... so for now I am going to continue to enjoy my sweet time with my girl... She's growing up too fast.
So for all of you breastfeeding mama's out there... Happy World Breastfeeding week! :)
And since I don't have any pictures of Em nursing (I wish I would have had hubs take some!! Remember that for next time!), here is a pic of us at the beach this week... vacation update will be my next post! :)

No comments: