Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Why I ended my relationship with the gym

I used to work out. I spent an entire summer training, for a 5K mind you, I'm not a distance runner, training was necessary. Did I love it? No but I felt good about myself. I made myself run 4 days a week. I ran wherever we were. We drove from Virginia to Oklahoma to visit hubs' family and I ran in hotels and through the streets of random subdivisions in Missouri (with hubs by my side of course, no way would I run alone in an area I am not familiar with). I ran while we were there through a local college campus that was adjacent to his aunt's house. I felt good. I didn't feel good while I was running though... I felt hot and out of breath all the time. Haha. I told you I'm not a distance runner! I met my goal though... I started running mid-June and in September ran my first (and only) 5K in Virginia Beach. I ran the entire thing... super proud (stop laughing all of you marathoners!). After that I stopped running. I didn't love it. I just stuck with it long enough to meet the goal. Hubs and I joined a gym and I tried a variety of classes. I've decided that classes are for the already physically fit. I was sore for days on end after completing a class. And not a good sore, an I can barely stand up on my own two legs sore. So I gave up on classes and started going to the gym and using the machines. Mostly I would wander around feeling out of place. I gave that up too. Then I started going to Pilates. I loved it. It was challenging and fun and I felt like I was getting something out of it. Then one morning I woke up with more back/neck pain than I could stand. I had to leave work early that day and go to the doctor who said I probably pulled a muscle. I felt like I was dying. I laid on the heating pad for weeks. I even went to the emergency room one morning (I had never been to the emergency room before!). It was miserable. For months after the injury I suffered from contraction headaches and neck pain. I have no idea how I did it or what happened. I went to Pilates on Tuesday and when I woke up on Thursday I felt like death. They said it could have happened in Pilates or it could have been from lifting Em in and out of her crib. Either way, that ended my run with the gym. I cancelled my membership this summer. Why am I telling you all of this? Because today I felt a similar pain (that quickly went away) in my back and it reminded me of the misery I suffered through. It also reminded me that I need to find some sort of work out to do that will help me get my body in stronger shape. I want to lead a healthy life and be a good example for Emerie and I need to find a way to increase my strength and tone my body so that I am better prepared for all that life may throw at me. Will it prevent injuries from happening? No, but it could help lessen the injuries effects and speed up recovery time should something like that ever happen again (praying that it doesn't!). So what should I do? I am afraid of the gym now. Afraid that I will get hurt again... seriously... it rivaled labor pain, and I feel qualified to say that because I was in labor for 25 hours! So now I'm on the hunt for a gentle, effective way to exercise... whether it be swimming, running, walking. etc. What do you do to stay in shape?

No comments: