I've decided (a little late!) to participate in teacher week (See Babbling Abby's blog for more details!). Today is day two but I'll start with day one and catch up!
10 things about me as a teacher:
1. I teach second grade and I love it! No two days are the same when you are a teacher.
2. This will be my second year teaching. I student taught in first grade and loved it! I taught second grade last year and will be teaching 2nd grade again this year. I hope to teach Kindergarten or Pre-K one day. =) Some people say that I am crazy for hoping to move down in grade levels... most want to move up!
3. Reason for #2: I love teaching the beginning stages of things... letter names and sounds, early number sense, etc. How much fun is it to see a child learn to read and sound out words!?
4. I hope to get my Early Childhood Special Education endorsement soon! Our county is working on starting a cohort so that teachers can take classes to obtain the ECSE endorsement and I'm anxious to get started.
5. I love to play music in my classroom. At the end of the last school year I started putting on music like the Cha Cha Slide and had my kids up and dancing to end the day. We all left in a good mood. The kids loved it when I did the Cha Cha Slide with them. =)
6. I love picture books and chapter books so I pick up books where ever I can (thrift stores, yard sales, library discard/giveaways).
7. I love keeping copies of the kids' writing samples from the beginning of the year and returning them at the end of the year. The kids are amazed at how much they've grown! They can't believe they "used to write like that". =)
8. I STRONGLY DISLIKE grading writing. It is sooooooo subjective. I love reading their writing. Most of their stories are adorable and creative but I absolutely dislike putting a grade on it.
9. Second graders are so funny and still so innocent! One of my students said that she swallowed an orange seed and asked me (with wide eyes and terror on her face) if an orange would grow in her belly. Cute! =)
10. I love to do read alouds of my favorite books and books that go along with our units. Fostering a love for reading is extremely important in my classroom!
Day 2: Things I must have...
1. Coffee. Lots of coffee.
2. Velcro circles. I use them a lot!
3. An endless supply of pencils.
4. An endless supply of erasers. Second graders erase. A lot.
5. Magic erasers. Our school is extremely old and in my current classroom the white board is shower board, which means it doesn't erase well at all..... oh budget cuts....
6. Peppermints. I eat them like crazy when I'm at school... definitely after coffee and after lunch!
7. My easel. Since I was a new teacher last year my principals ordered me an easel that is magnetic, has three writing surfaces (one with lines), and four colorful drawers for storage. I love love love it!
Well I think that catches me up! Today was day one of our teacher work week! The kids come a week from today!