Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Personal Record

I've been stuck in a rut between miles 2 and 3. I haven't quite been able to push myself to run more than two miles without stopping to walk. I was getting a little down on myself so I decided to take everyone's advice and go to a running store to get fitted for new shoes. I went to Ragged Mountain Running Shop in Charlottesville and got fitted for new shoes (it was a neat experience... I actually felt like a runner!). I also bought another iTunes card so that I could put some new music on my iPod. I hoped that the shoes and music would motivate me while I was running. Tuesday night I set out on the road with my new shoes and tunes and I ran for close to two miles before I slowed to walk. I was a little disappointed in myself. Granted, I don't walk for long, maybe a quarter of a mile and then I pick back up and run again but I had to walk none the less. Only.... I didn't have to walk. I convinced myself I had to. Today I set out again to run the same 3.1 mile course that I had mapped out and I felt myself becoming more and more determined as I ran. Everytime I would tell myself to stop and walk I would make my body push through and continue to run. Before I knew it I was back at home and had run the entire route! Today I broke a personal record. I ran 3.1 miles without stopping to walk! I have never done that before! Running is definitely more mental than physical. It's very easy to talk yourself into slowing down and walking when things start to get a little bit hard. It gets hard around 2 miles but once I pushed through and made it past 2.5 miles the rest was easy.... okay... not easy, but not as hard as I had made it out to be. My 5K at the beach is next month so I have to keep up my training and keep pushing myself until then! I also realized something else this week... I may be getting close to being in the best shape of my life. What a great feeling!
Have a blessed Thursday!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That is AWESOME! I am not a runner, I hate the way it makes my lungs feel. But you are motivating me. Awesome job :)