Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"How we live our days is... how we live our lives."

Our Bible study/book club has been reading a very interesting book. Crazy Love (the book) has really pushed me into this uncomfortable place. I know that sounds weird, but it's pushed me out of my comfort zone into this awkward, I don't know what to do now, zone. It's both bad and good. Bad in the sense that I feel a little lost and don't know how to function outside of my normal, everyday routine. But good because it has made me realize I have to change in order to be the person that God has called me to be. The author (Francis Chan) basically tells the reader that God doesn't want believers to just go to church, tithe, read the Bible, and pray. Chan says that those people are lukewarm. Chan asserts that God calls us all to love and serve others. He has a very radical viewpoint on Christianity and relationships with God. It's left me feeling very confused and I have that "where do I even begin?" thought all the time now. I like that he's helped to push me out of my comfort zone but I find myself turning back to that comfort zone everyday. One quote from the book that Chan uses really spoke to me today, "How we live our days is... how we live our lives." That quote is orginially from Annie Dillard (another writer). But it speaks volumes. If we spend our days worrying, being self-absorbed, rushing through life, keeping up with the latest trends, desiring more of this and that, then that is what our lives become... That is what people will see when they look at us. They will see selfish and untrusting people who are too busy to care about others. I don't want others to see that or think that when they think of me. I don't want to spend my days worrying about myself when God put us here with the goal of loving others.
"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us." - 1 John 3:16-20 (italics mine)

I didn't mean for this post to get so long but I just needed to get some of these thoughts out of my head so that I can see more clearly what God is calling me to do! I know that I need to show love for others through actions. I just don't know what that means for me.... yet. I trust that God will show me.

Have a blessed day and go pick up a copy of Crazy Love now! It's such a wonderful book! You can also visit the website: http://www.crazylovebook.com/. There a videos to go along with each chapter.

PS. Our school district was closed all last week due to the snow. We have been closed yesterday and today as well... I anticipate that we will be closed all week to do the forecast of more snow today and tonight!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've been wanting to read this book! Thanks for posting about it!! I think I'll go order now!!