Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Advice Needed (JMU alums could help!)

What's this? Christina blogged two days in a row? Shocking. =) I should be at church right now, but I'm not. I'm sitting here, blogging, drinking coffee, and adding to my lesson plans for the week. The dreaded week. I have somewhat of a dilemma with church right now. I love my pastor and the music at our church, however, our church doesn't seem to offer anything past Sunday service for me. They have tons of Life Groups, small groups, etc, but none for people my age. The church is huge and I can't seem to get to know anyone there or become involved. So...... I'm contemplating switching churches. I don't exactly have one in mind yet, but since I live in a rural area, I may have to drive to say, Harrisonburg, to find a new church. That's okay with me, I think. Harrisonburg is only 30 minutes away. Finding a church that supports me, and allows me to become involved and give back would be well worth the drive. Do any of you bloggers have any suggestions for finding a new home church? Do any of you JMU alums know of any good ones in Harrisonburg or the surrounding area? I've heard Aletheia is good.... I'm open to suggestions!

Have a fabulous Sunday friends!

5 comments:

Katie's Journey said...

I can so relate! I was not very happy at my church and found another one to join and it has been wonderful! Right now though it is tough because they are doing a lot of reorganizing and there is not really anything for people my age. I wish we had a singles or college bible study because I think it would be great! Good luck in your search!

ReJOYce! said...

Hi again Christina, Good Morning! I also should be at church right now, but I'm not. I'm sitting here, blogging, also drinking my coffee and praying for God's direction about a new church. My husband & I went to visit a church last Sunday and we really liked it! Well, now we just need to wait and see what the Lord has in store for us! Just know that I'll be praying for you! Have a Blessed Day!

Rachel said...

I know JUST want you mean! I have a church I like in Norfolk, but it's so clicky (is that how you spell it?). Anyhow, I had a lot of friends who went to Alethia and LOVED it. I visited once or twice and thought it was a great church, just not my style of worship. Wonderful people though!

I went to two churches pretty steadily during my 5 years at JMU. I went to Covenant Presbyterian and 1st Presbyterian. Covenant Presbyterian was a great family church. I stopped going there during my first round of student teaching in my 4th year because 1st Presbyterian had an evening service and I wanted to sleep in :) Ended up loving 1st Presbyterian and stayed there for my last year and half. I had several roommates who went to Hburg Baptist and loved it. I've never been, but I've heard good things.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Finding a good fit church can be so hard. If you have more questions, feel free to email me innosimplelanguage@gmail.com

ALSO, to make this message just a little longer, I'll answer your question from yesterday. I did ST at RES in the spring of '07 (Beginning of Feb to the end of March)! Was your husband in the gym? I vaguely remember a male ST there. That's crazy if it was him :)

Melissa said...

I don't know of any churches in your area. But I was in a similar situation. The churches in my small town just don't fit me. We drive 30 minutes as well. It's totally worth it.

Katie said...

I'm sorry that you can't find a place there....how odd that such a large church doesn't have LifeGroups for people our age. Maybe contact someone at the church to see if they can recommend a group...?