Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Not your ordinary job

I have definitely been MIA with my blogging lately but I've been super busy. (Warning: Excuse my over use of the word "super" but being a 2nd grade teacher I use it a lot on papers!) Being a teacher is a lot more work than people realize. The biggest myth is that teachers work 7:50-3:30 days. PLEASE. My days have been more like 7:15-5:00 or 5:30. Even after I leave I bring things home to work on. I have also been at school for several hours each weekend since school started. Am I sitting here blogging in my "teacher clothes"? Yes. I'm too tired to change. Is it worth it? Absolutely. I am loving it! It is so much fun to teach children. For the first time I don't feel like I have a job. I don't dread going to work and I don't feel like I'm wasting away being chained to a desk and staring at a computer all day. I feel like I am making a difference in their lives. Already I can see that they are learning and it makes me so happy! :) I get to hear things like "you're the best teacher in the world" (clearly I'm not, I'm new at this but children don't know that. They think I am the best, just like they will think their teacher next year is the best!). It makes my day when they say sweet things like that, and also when they have that "ahh ha!" moment when they finally get what you were trying to teach them! We are halfway through the first six weeks of school. I'm exhausted. While I love what I do, I am extremely glad that we have Monday off. I need some rest....
Things I am excited about:
1. Tomorrow: 3 day weekend!
2. Next Friday: Walking on the beach hand in hand with the love of my life while the waves crash over our bare feet. :)
3. Cool Weather = Fun hiking trips!
4. Open windows and fresh air!
It's almost Friday!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You read my mind. I am just about to start a post about what a terrible blogger I've been lately. Being a teacher is sooo time consuming! But so worth it!!!!

Rachel said...

So glad it's going well! I know how exhausting it is, but I'm sure you're doing a FABULOUS job! There is nothing more rewarding than teaching!