Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Sadly my summer has come to an end.

I have been trying to avoid a lot of things lately, some of which I won't discuss in this post because I'm just not ready to... but one of the things that I am trying to avoid is the fact that on Thursday morning my summer will have come to an official end. Thursday is new teacher orientation and I work everyday until school starts on August 18th (which by the way is two weeks from tomorrow and again, I am avoiding the major panic attack that would occur if I think about it too much!). Don't get me wrong... I am REALLY excited about teaching 2nd grade this year. I can't wait to meet my kids and get to know them and share my first year teaching with them. However, it is very overwhelming. I don't have the files and files filled with lesson plans that experienced teachers have so this year is going to be a LOT of work. I know that it will be worth every bit of the work in the end but it's a daunting task to begin. As I sit here drinking my coffee and the sunshine flows in through the windows, I realize that I am still in summer mode, and even though I don't officially start until Thursday, I need to get myself out of summer mode now. So after I muster up the motivation I will shower and head to Walmart to get fabric to cover my bulletin boards and will hopefully head over to my classroom to start decorating. I've already spent several days in my classroom, organizing and unpacking boxes, and I've even taken a purchase order to Walmart and gotten pencil pouches and binders for my kids. I've actually done a lot, but I still feel very behind. My mind will be struggling with the afterthoughts of summer and the realization that school is about to begin for the next week or two.

In other news, we spent the weekend camping at the lake and it was beautiful! It was filled with fried foods, canoe rides, swimming in the river, fishing, and relaxing around the campfire. Unfortunately, it ended (just as it did last year) with a downpour of rain the morning we had to pack up. Piper (our 8 month old golden retriever) was able to come with us and she was so good. She was made for camping... swimming... not so much! Pictures to come!

Blessings!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck with your first year. I remember being nervous too, but other teachers will help you out! You'll do great!!

Kristen said...

GOOD LUCK!