Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wedded Bliss

One week from tomorrow will be our 1 year wedding anniversary. I can't believe how fast this past year has gone by. Everyone says that the first year of marriage is the hardest but honestly, I don't feel that way at all. This past year was amazing. I love being married. It brings about a new level of closeness in our relationship. We've been through a lot this past year. I have been going to grad school full time and (until January) have been working full time. I've had a lot of late nights this past year. I was going to work for eight hours and then going straight to class for 3-6 more hours. While I was doing that Phil started a new job in a new school district and became the boys JV basketball coach at TA. He started having late practices and travelling for games and helping out with the Varsity team and at times it seemed as though we were ships passing in the night. It would have been very easy to neglect our new marriage this past year but we didn't. Sure their were times when we would both get frustrated because we didn't see each other or spend quality time together as much as we would like but we worked through it. He has really supported me as I started a new chapter in my life. He was okay with my late nights because I was accomplishing my career and life goals... to be an elementary school teacher and get my masters degree. I have supported him as well. He loves to coach and he is really, REALLY good at it. I don't just say that because I'm his wife... He started out with a basketball team of 10-13 kids, only 3 of which had ever played basketball before. Their first few games were less than graceful. His players were falling down, making lots of mistakes, and not playing their hardest. Many would have given up, but not my husband. By the end of that season those boys were not just good, they were great. They looked like a completely different team. They were running plays, being aggressive, encouraging one another, being leaders on the court, and playing hard. They wanted to win for themselves, their school, and their coach. He taught them so much and I could really see the improvements in them. Everyone could. So... as I get off of my tangent, I supported him and his late nights just like he supported me.

Busy as we were, this first year of marriage has been eye opening, busy, fun, exciting, and blessed. I couldn't ask for a better husband, though I'm sure I don't tell him that enough. God has really blessed our marriage and for that I am grateful. As we move into year number two, we are both in much better places in our lives and we are very excited to see/experience the things that God has in store for us.

Some of our goals for this next year:
-Buy a house
-Get a job teaching elementary school (me)
-Buy a new car (Phil)
-Take a vacation
-Go to another MLB game
-Pay off some student loans
-Visit friends (Gloucester and Arlington here we come!)
-Go back to Cripple Creek
-To make many more great memories!

Well I think that's all for now... We will be eating year old wedding cake next weekend! Can't wait! I love you babe!

Getting married - April 26, 2008

I love this picture because we just looked at each other and said "Can you believe we are married?" and started laughing.

Happiness!

Dancing at the reception

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay, another teacher on blogger! Happy almost one year anniversary!!

SunniOceans said...

you were such a beautiful bride! Happy late anniversary!