Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Desperate Housewife? Or BAD housewife?

I can't seem to find the motivation to clean and organize my house like I had planned. After I finished student teaching at the end of March, I had these big plans to use the weeks in between student teaching and my long term sub position to clean and reorganize our house. I even avoided doing some of it on the weekends while I was student teaching because I knew that I had specific plans to do it all during my interim break. Have I cleaned out my closet (COMPLETELY cleaned it out, reorganized, etc.)? Have I redone the guest bedroom? Have I rearranged our master bedroom? Cleaned the house from top to bottom? No. I. have. not. Why? I can't find the motivation to focus on cleaning. I would make a horrible housewife. I'm sorry hubs. I've managed to empty and load the dishwasher a few times, vacuumed once, and organized all of my teacher stuff in our office (millions of children's books, educational games, resources, etc). Those things do not make our house look nicer, they do not give it a warm, southern feel, and they most certainly do not get me the best housewife award. I do not go to bed at night feeling organized and satisfied with my progress. I am a planner and an organizer. Housewives do not have planned and organized schedules. They have an open schedule to do what they want when they want to. I do not operate in that way. At first it was nice... I slept in (8 a.m. is sleeping in), enjoyed my coffee, took the dogs on a walk, caught myself up on everyone's blogs, etc. It was nice. Heck... I even took a bubble bath in the middle of the day (now that's life on the wild side). Now.... it's driving me crazy. I need a schedule in order to accomplish anything. Maybe that's why I'm a terrible housewife. I always feel better if things are where they should be and my next day is planned out. So I've made a list on an index card of all the things I hope to accomplish today (idea taken from Brittany!) and hopefully that will give me the motivation to get more accomplished today. After all... my break is coming to an end. I have to go in for a meeting on Friday in regards to administering the SOL's and will start teaching the 5th grade by Monday. MONDAY. At the latest.... Oh how I wish I hadn't been such a procrastinator.

2 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

Don't feel bad. Despite my index card obsession, I am the same way. I always procrastinate my housewifely duties. Cleaning, frankly, isn't any fun. Thank the Lord our husbands love us!

Heather said...

I have the same problem after having a weekend to do nothing where I plan to clean and organize, paint, finish putting in the floors, etc..and still never get them done. In order to get all my cleaning done on my Wednesdays off, I frequently have to make a list and check things off so I can see my progress as I go. It actually feels really good to see everything crossed off at the end of the day. Hope it works for ya